Director, Assistant General Counsel - Operations
***This job may be based out of Brentwood, TN or Denver, CO***
No Brag, Just Fact!
Over the last decade, we set out to be the world's greatest dialysis company, and over the next decade, we're poised to build the greatest healthcare community the world has ever seen. Through our commitment to training, mentoring, growth and quality-focused approach, we give teammates the opportunity to excel in an award-winning environment that enables them to thrive both professionally and personally.
The DaVita in-house legal team is known as the "Justice League." The Justice League is comprised of 280 attorneys, paralegals, and professionals in countries around the globe. The Justice League values diversity, support and respect for each other, analytical rigor, commitment to professional development, and a passion for excellence.
The primary role of the Assistant General Counsel is to serve as a lead attorney handling the day-to-day legal needs of our operating division, which includes all of our clinics and the teammates that support those clinics. The Assistant General Counsel will provide advice, guidance and strategic counsel to senior management and the field on a wide variety of legal issues which arise from the day-to-day operations of a growing, complex organization operating in a heavily-regulated environment. In addition, the Assistant General Counsel will serve as the quarterback, facilitating the coordination of other subject matter experts within the legal department to assist the Assistant General Counsel in the handling of their legal challenges including litigation, peer review, regulatory and transactions. This provides significant opportunity to interact with others within legal, professional development and cross collaboration.
* Serve as operational attorney for a key operating group of DaVita. Reporting to a Group General Counsel, this role will provide advice and counsel to business leads on a wide variety of Corporate, regulatory and commercial issues.
* Provide legal counsel on a variety of health-care business, corporate and commercial matters.
* Provide legal oversight for business transactions and aid Group General Counsel on the structure and negotiation of said contracts.
* Draft, review, analyze and negotiate contracts, and other legal documents to which the company intends to become a party, including Medical Director Agreements, Operating Agreements, Leases/Subleases, and Agreements
ancillary to the dialysis business.
* Resolve business and lease disputes, and, if necessary, assist in the management of litigation.
* Develop a thorough understanding of the Company's business, its people, markets, facilities, customers and competitors in order to provide legal advice, structures and strategies.
* Establish a rapport and working relationship with business managers in order to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
* Perform special assignments as needed.
* Support and collaborate with other areas of the JLD and compliance, as needed.
* Assist in process improvement and establishment of best demonstrated practices for all aspects of legal operations.
* Some travel is required (appx once every 6 to 8 weeks)
* J.D. degree and a minimum of eight years of legal experience in a mix of operations, corporate law and/or health care law preferred
* State bar passage and good standing.
* Candidates must possess in-house and/or law firm experience representing business clients.
* General understanding of relevant health care compliance issues (e.g., Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, HIPAA).
* Strong contract drafting, interpretation and negotiation experience a must.
* Experience advising and counseling management on a wide range of legal matters impacting ongoing business operations.
* Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
* Exceptional emotional intelligence and relationship-building abilities.
* Unquestioned integrity.
* Assertive and a self-starter.
* Maturity and personal self-confidence including confidence in legal opinions.
* Strong interpersonal skills including a strong sense of team.
* Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
* A keen understanding of business and commerce, and the ability to diagnose legal problems and present positive, creative solutions and alternatives for management.
* The ability to effectively manage relationships with outside counsel to maximize the quality of representation and remain within budget.
* A bright individual who is a "quick study" and grasps issues quickly.
* A hard worker but also embraces the Core Value of Fun!
* Ability to work well under pressure in a fast moving, dynamic company.
* The maturity and flexibility to work effectively with senior management, subordinates and operations personnel.
* The interpersonal skills to be a value add team participant with legal background rather than just the lawyer to the team.
- Salary/Wage Range
- $133,300 - 195,700
- Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate's qualifications, skills, competencies and experience and may fall outside of the range shown. DaVita offers a competitive total rewards package, which includes a 401k match, healthcare coverage and a broad range of other benefits. Learn more at https://careers.davita.com/benefits
- Bonus Eligible: Yes
Join us as we pursue our vision "To Build the Greatest Healthcare Community the World has Ever Seen."
Why wait? Explore a career with DaVita today.
Go to http://careers.davita.com to learn more or apply.