Staff Nurse, RN (306)
Category Emergency Services - 6230 Description
JOB SUMMARY: The Registered Nurse personally administers nursing care to patients/residents and/or plans, directs and coordinates the nursing care of a group of patients/residents via the nursing process and in collaboration with the health team. The Registered Nurse also instructs patients/residents and/or families in procedures, healthcare practices and continuing care after discharge. The RN performs duties and responsibilities in a manner adhering to all hospital and departmental policies and procedures and in compliance with the Indiana State Nurse Practice Act. May be assigned charge responsibilities for the area.
The RN is qualified to perform a nursing intervention defined as administration of moderate sedation (conscious sedation) and can monitor the patient's response and provide necessary physiological support during a diagnostic or therapeutic procedure. The RN will receive initial education on hire in moderate sedation and will have an annual competency.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates knowledge and technical skill necessary for providing competent, comprehensive patient care.
- Demonstrates leadership abilities including ability to give and follow instructions accurately.
- Provides positive, professional role model for others.
- Demonstrates ability to teach/instruct patients, families, and colleagues.
- Functions professionally under stressful or emergency conditions.
- Utilizes effective verbal, non-verbal, and written forms of communication.
- Works effectively with others to consistently demonstrating tact, discretion, diplomacy, and a commitment to teamwork.
- Behavior is consistent with "Patients First Behavioral Commitment"
CAPABLE OF DELIVERING CARE/SERVICE APPROPRIATELY TO PATIENT/CUSTOMERS
- Bases care/decisions on Nursing Process of Assessment, Planning, Implementation and Evaluation.
- Demonstrates thorough, accurate, and timely assessment.
- Exhibits necessary response/intervention to changes in patient condition.
- Provides and documents care consistent with hospital, departmental, and unit policies/procedures/protocols.
- Demonstrates competence in clinical/technical skills performed.
- Prepares patient/families for discharge by providing information/education on admission, throughout the hospital stay, and reviewing at discharge.
PROFESSIONALISM AND GROWTH
- Displays/exhibits self-directed growth by seeking educational opportunities to improve knowledge/skill.
- Contributes to planning, implementing and supporting progressive change, making suggestions to solve patient care or unit problems.
- Assumes expanded responsibility at the request of the Team Leader or designee after necessary orientation/education.
- Assists with orientation of new staff.
- Attends in-service presentation as assigned.
- Attends unit/departmental meetings 80% of time or as assigned.
- Demonstrates acceptable attendance and punctuality.
QUALITY / PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT
- Participates in identifying or recommending areas for improvement.
- Participates in quality improvement activities to improve patient care related to planned outcomes.
- Completes assigned responsibilities in an efficient, timely manner.
- Recognizes impact of actions on other departments and interacts in a manner conducive to team work and cost containment.
- Collaborates with other members of the health team regarding patient care needs and responsibilities, and delegates, as appropriate.
- Communicates pertinent patient information clearly, accurately, concisely, and in a timely manner to other health care providers.
- Directs concerns to appropriate persons within time frames suitable to the situation.
- Practice is consistent with: Safety principles OSHA Guidelines Infection Control Guidelines
- Provides for protection and support while moving, transferring or ambulating patients.
GUEST RELATIONS/PATIENT RIGHTS
- Delivers patient care in a compassionate, non-judgmental manner respecting the patient's rights.
- Honors individuals' right to privacy, dignity, respect and confidentiality at all times.
- Confronts individuals/situations assertively and non-aggressively when necessary to ensure the rights of patients, self, and others are respected.
- Readily offers assistance to families, visitors, patients/residents, and colleagues.
- Conducts interactions with patients, visitors, physicians, volunteers, other associates, and the public in a manner consistent with the intent of the hospital's mission, vision and values.
EXPECTED BEHAVIORS: As stated in "Patients First Behavioral Commitment" Professional Behavior Positive Attitude / Demeanor Respect Teamwork Accountability Communication Dedication to Excellence.Position Requirements
CERTIFICATION/LICENSE: Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR); Registered Nurse (RN)
ADDITIONAL LICENSURE/CREDENTIAL REQUIREMENTS: ACLS within one (1) year of hire to ER PALS within two (2) years of hire to ER.
ADDITIONAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Graduate of an accredited ASN or BSN program. Mandatory Continuing Education:
- Customer Service
- Life Safety
- Infection Control
- Corporate Compliance
- Equipment/Device Safety
- Hazardous Waste and Material Safety
- HIPPA Completion of general hospital and departmental orientation TNCC - preferred ENPC - preferred CEN - preferred SANE - preferred Prior Emergency Service, or Critical Care experience preferred
- Hours for this position are 3pm - 3am
Today, a highly skilled medical and professional nursing staff anchors Hancock Regional Hospital. We have a state-of-the-art surgery department, 24-hour emergency services, OB services, progressive and critical care, a geropsychology unit, home healthcare, occupational health, a transitional care unit, a total oncology program with a cutting-edge radiation oncology center, many private rooms, and a full complement of Inpatient and outpatient services.
Our Mission is to be a Caring Community Partner by healing, improving health and wellness, alleviating suffering, and delivering acts of kindness one person at a time. EOE Statement We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is currently accepting applications.