Handel Architects, LLP is an award-winning, full-service architecture, planning and interiors firm dedicated to bringing excellence to urban environments. Our San Francisco Interior Design Studio hand-crafts environments that enable our clients to develop personal and long-lasting relationships with their interior spaces. Handel Interiors is looking for an Interior Designer with a strong background and demonstrated expertise in interior design, experience in the residential sector and a profound commitment to the individual and their experience of an interior environment.
You have a strong point-of-view on design and can communicate it effectively with your team and clients. You are an outstanding design talent, passionate conceptual thinker and have the work experience to demonstrate those traits. You have an entrepreneurial drive, take initiative and truly view yourself as a designer. You will work with and report to the Director of Interiors to implement design concepts, helping take projects from the storyboard to completion.
Designers in our studio play an integral role in developing the design-led and overseen by the Director of Interiors. You are actively involved with your respective projects, and are expected to show initiative, and have passion for establishing relationships with other team members, consultants and client teams.
Design, Development and Documentation
Responsible for the development and realization of a project for all phases of design: concept, schematic, design development, construction documentation and installation ensuring that design concepts are safe, functional, aesthetically appropriate, meet applicable building codes, meet client program and project budget constraints.
- Develop and produce:
- 2D and 3D design concept studies and sketches
- Mood boards and research
- Design presentations including rendered plans and elevations
- Full set of construction drawings consisting of plans, elevations, details and specifications, power and communications locations; reflected ceiling plans and lighting designs; materials and finishes; and furniture layouts
- Finish, hardware, lighting, appliance & plumbing selection and specifications
- FF&E selection, sourcing and specification with accurate product information for all furniture
- Coordinate with external consultants, including architects, structural engineers, various specialty consultants, and product representatives to produce finish plans, furniture plans, schedules, specifications and material selections needed for construction documentation.
- Prepare project cost and fee analysis and review project billing
- Work with design team to review scope, schedule, budget, staffing needs, and project milestones
- Perform field visits/measurements and construction administration services including site visits, responding to RFIs, reviewing control samples and shop drawings, coordinating with consultants, manufacturers, and contractors, and completing punch list
- Maintain vendor relationships
Required Skills & Experience | Quantitative
- BArch (5 years professional) or Bachelor of Interior Architecture required,
- 5-7 years professional portfolio demonstrating passion for interior design and interior architecture
- Strong technical skills to prepare design and construction documents and specifications
- Excellent graphic presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized, collaborative and detail-oriented
- Professionalism when interfacing with clients when applicable
- Proven success developing concurrent projects in a fast-paced environment
- Possess high sensibility and affinity for materials, products, and resources
- Capable of resolving problems and issues that arise during construction
- Proficient in 2D/3D software, including Excel, Rhino with V-Ray or Sketch Up, Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign), AutoCAD and/or Revit, SPEXX or SpecSources
Required Skills & Experience | Qualitative
- The intellectual fortitude and creative flexibility to see from macro to micro
- A great balance of charisma and communication. You're able to own and light up a room, inspiring confidence from clients and creative thinking from your team.
- You're a natural storyteller, both visually and verbally.
- Conviction with collaboration-you're able to stand by the creative process, but also openminded and flexible when working alongside clients, creatives, upper management, etc.
- Nimble and flexible- unafraid to take risks with the work, unafraid to try new methodologies and processes.
About the Office
The San Francisco office is comprised of a group of talented architects, designers and support staff. We bring passion, motivation and energy to designing spaces that will make a positive impact on people's lives and the urban realm.
In our collaborative open studio environment, we share ideas, engage in each other's projects and contribute to creating exciting and dynamic designs. We celebrate professional achievements and personal milestones. Together, we maintain a healthy and lively office environment, gathering for Friday Breakfast, Happy Hour and Friday Forum. We enjoy one another's company, work hard and we have fun doing so!