Part Time Relief Advocates
Starting wage for this position is $12.00 - $14.00 per hour, depending on education, knowledge and experience.
Shifts are every other weekend (Saturday and Sunday) 3 pm - 11 pm.
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Part-Time
SALARY CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
SHIFTS: Weekends, Holidays and other shifts as needed
SUPERVISOR: Youth Director/Relief Staff Supervisor
POSITION PRIMARY PURPOSE:
To provide crisis intervention, information and referral, advocacy support, legal advocacy, transportation, accompaniment and follow-up assistance to primary and secondary victims of domestic and sexual violence. To provide education throughout the communities served.
High school diploma or GED necessary. Associates degree preferred. Experience advocating for victims of domestic and sexual violence preferred. Computer skills are necessary. Must successfully complete a criminal history background check.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Working knowledge of direct service programming to victims of domestic and sexual violence. ? Demonstrated ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
* Ability to facilitate meetings, work independently and cooperatively.
* Strong organizational, critical thinking and analytical skills.
* Strong commitment to the mission, goals, and services of Safe Avenues.
* Skilled in managing crisis situations, and communication of difficult topics.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
* Ability to relate to victims and acceptance of the population served
A. Advocates will provide assistance in meeting the self-defined needs of victims of domestic and sexual violence.
1) Answer the crisis phone line and triage client needs.
2) Help ensure access to 24 hour crisis services for victims.
3) Assist victims in planning for their safety and the safety of their children.
4) Assist in maintaining provisions for safe emergency shelter for victims.
5) Provide information about the dynamics of domestic and sexual violence and available resources and provide referrals that foster self-sufficiency.
6) Accompany victims to appointments for resources which aid in ending the violence in their lives and promote healing.
7) Coordinate with other agencies to enhance safety for victims and accountability for those who have perpetrated the violence.
8) Intervene by making direct contact with service providers when agency personnel fail to meet safety needs victims of domestic and sexual violence.
9) Provide information to victims about legal options available to them and assist in completing and filing protective orders.
10) As appropriate, promote and assist in reporting to law enforcement
11) When appropriate, promote evidentiary exams and support victims through hospital assessment and collection of evidence.
B. The Advocate will assist in completion of grant goals for the program.
1) Work with staff to collect and report documentation of service statistics
2) Maintain a filing system to keep track of client files, intakes, coding sheets, etc.
C. The Advocate will be an active participant of the Safe Avenues Team.
1) Attend all required trainings.
2) Attend and participate in Safe Avenues staff meetings and case consultation meetings. 3) Seek out and attend trainings that maintain skills and promote methods of providing quality services to victims of domestic and sexual violence.
4) Follow all policies and procedures of Safe Avenues.
5) Provide support in accomplishing program goals.
6) Assist with delivery of community education presentations.
7) Participate in at least one Safe Avenues fundraising and/or awareness event.
8) Work with Executive Director to complete funding applications and reports.
9) Positively interact with individuals, organizations, and system partners to further develop cooperative and collaborative efforts in responding to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and families in need.
10) Represent programs, employees, and administrative direction positively.
11) Actively seek out supervisor when assistance is needed.
12) Communicate with supervisor, other employees, and clientele to pro-actively solve conflict, keep informed, and foster team spirit.
13) When exercising duties, consciously consider the welfare of clientele and program.
14) Take responsibility for assigned duties and show initiative in seeking additional duties.
15) Complete other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
Safe Avenues Is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Equal Opportunity Provider