As a member of the Bursar's Office, the Reconciliation Accountant will perform reconciliation and reporting of Banner funds and accounts receivable related to the federal, state, institutional and third party sponsors of aid to Virginia Tech students, local loan programs, and other Bursar funds. The accountant will work closely with University Scholarships and Financial Aid (USFA) staff to research and resolve discrepancies with the monthly and year-to-date statements and aid disbursements. This position will provide professional, courteous customer service to students, families, sponsors and university departments in person, by telephone and by email concerning student and university accounts, including billing, scholarships, financial aid, outstanding and credit balances, payment and budget tuition plans. The Reconciliation Accountant will need to have knowledge of policies and procedures across operations of the Bursar's Office and understanding of key student areas such as Financial Aid, Registration, Housing and Dining, Health Center and Veterans services.
- Degree or certificate in accounting, business administration or related field of study or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of GAAP accounting and practices and internal controls related to payment monitoring, acceptance and compliance
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently, handle diverse tasks, and work cooperatively in a team environment
- Customer service experience working with a variety of people in a high volume, dynamic environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure with a high degree of accuracy and meet deadlines
- Experience with performing financial calculations, reconciliations, and dispute resolution
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications with high proficiency in Excel & Word
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Bachelor degree or higher in Business, Accounting or other related field
- Experience in higher education, accounts receivable, or student financial aid
- Experience with enterprise systems like Ellucian Banner
$45,000 - 50,000
May 3, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Julie Weaver at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.